From:
LR MEIER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:02:43 -0800
I have a ferret, Deja, who was diagnosed with diabetes about 4-5 months
ago. He had off the scale high glucose readings and my wonderful vet
has been working with me to try to bring this under control. There
isn't a lot of information out there and unfortunately the FDA is
removing some of the previously known insulins from the market.

Currently we are using Humulin in combination with Glipizide tablets
(which helps the pancreas to process and release insulin). We started
off with 3 units, moved up to 5, and are now at 10 units twice/day
along with 1/2 of a crushed tablet of the Glipizide. We mix the crushed
tablet in a little soup with about a teaspoon of squash baby food for
fiber and sub Q the Humulin. He takes it very well - such a champ!

This has brought him down to an acceptable range. Unfortunately he
has now been diagnosed with lymphoma and as Prednisone is one of
the primary treatments for that, we are unable to use it due to his
diabetes, so we won't be able to monitor the success of his diabetes
treatments long term.

I hope this helps you.

Loree