From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:21:10 -0800
Ahhh, tunnels... yep, they love them...

Had a really pudgy guy once that took a run at the opening of one of the
"dryer vent" type tubes... it gathered up around his middle as he
scrabbled thru it till he was at the other end looking around confused!

The best, most adaptable and CHEAPEST tunnel is plain ol' 4 inch flexible
sewer drainage pipe, the black stuff, not PVC.  Costs about $3 for TWENTY
FEET of tubing.  Then there's elbows, and tee, and y's that cost $3 -$5
each.  You can get a LOT of tunnel for $20.  Check out the photo at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/photos3.html

Running tunneling behind furniture discourages pooping back there.

The type that has drainage holes along it is nice, so that you can see
who's where and where they've stashed things.  You can cut the tubing
with a serrated steak steak knife into any length you want.

The "ferret balls"... yep, we've got one... came in with a surrender...
you put a ferret in there and close it up and they look around then look
at you and say "What IS this?  It's closed!  NOTHING is supposed to be
closed!  How DO you think I'm going to get into ANYTHING!" They do,
however, make nifty sleep places.  Tuck them under a chair (like a dining
room chair) where they can't roll, leave one door off, and stuff a sleep
blankie in it.  I missed a really cute photo the other day... had FOUR
ferrets snuggled up asleep in it.

The solid type with unclosable holes can be tucked into a corner in the
cage with one of the holes clothspin clipped to a side of the cage (with 4
clips to keep it stable) and stuffed with bedding.  The ones that tubing
attach to will work the same way, you can even put a tunnel tube between
them.  Just clip the balls to the cage wire to keep them still and stable.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home

Practical & easy training, care, & maintenance articles available at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/