From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 05:32:32 +0000
just a few reasons I can think of to keep ferrets outside...provided they
have *shelter* from heat and cold and bad weather that they can get into...
or they are brought inside in extreme weather.  As well as adequate food
and water of course....

1. Sunshine!
2. Shade
3. Fresh air
4. lots of mental stimulation (in most areas!) things to look at, watch,
   smell, listen to
5. some can provide a room size space or larger for their fuzzies...
   so...SPACE!  space to run and play and romp and dance and take
   advantage of the mental stimulation...especially when the owners
   (ownee?) aren't there to play with ya!

I grew up out in the country, and our cats were always outside...most were
interested in coming in for short periods, but they were healthy and happy,
and loved their outdoor life, and when I live in the country again, they
will be indoor/outdoor.  As will my fuzzies, for at least a portion of the
year.

Provided that the enclosure is safe, roomy, and ferret proof, they have
plenty of fresh water and shelter...aren't suddenly dumped outside in
extreme weather, and are cared for like our indoor fuzzies are, shots, etc,
interaction.  And their needs are looked after...which may mean bringing
them in when it's too hot or blizzarding.  Being outdoors is probably
better for them...though in cities with smog problems, perhaps not because
of their little lungs.  But having fresh air and things to at least watch
and smell and listen to is the life :-)  I know I like it!

Sue