Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:06:14 EST
As a lay person I think that we must be careful on second guessing a
trained person, in this case our vets and their decisions and actions.  In
judging the actions of the vet one should also evaluate the condition of
the animal over the time period mentioned..  Health conditions in any
living thing can change quickly.  If the companion is not able to give the
vet a good history, then the vet may have to do more detective work to
evaluate the symptons the vet finds on the examination.  Some conditions
exhibit symptoms over a very long period, so slowly one may not notice the
change in the animals health.  The vet in question is an extremely good at
diagnostics.  For me she has picked out chronic illnesses that another vet
had missed.  I still have the most respect for the other vet.  I feel a
second opinion is worth the cost.  Both of the vets knew I was going to get
a second opinion.  Both sent all the records with me to give to the other
vet.  A good vet often consults with other vets.

The vet in question also has compasion for the companion as well as the
owner.  She called me on Christmas eve to see if I needed any questions
answered and then told me to call her if I needed more help.  This was much
more than I would have expected.  Since I work in the medical field I had
elected to keep the companion at home where I could tend to her 24 hours a
day if necessary.

I know that certain people do not blend well with other people.  There is
no profession of service where this does not happen.  This may have been
the case here.

Patti and her companions