From:
Nancy Carriero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:48:12 EDT
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post although I do read the postings regularly.  I'm
looking for help to a new problem that I have acquired.  About a week and a
half ago I was hit by ferret math (already had 3) and decided to take on
another ferret.  Yes, I purchased a whiny MF ferret (approx.  9 wks old)
from a local pet store.  Within 24 hours of the purchase I became quite
convinced that the new little girl, Jinx, is deaf.  She responds to
absolutely NO noises whatsoever.  I've tried everything from quiet bizarre
noises to all of the other ferret favorites to horrendously loud.

According to the pet store I can return her for a perfectly healthy ferret,
but in turn sign the little girl's death warrant.  Sorry - not an option.
So I decided to do my best with her.  Here in comes the problem..... she
wants to play and is quite "violent" with the other three ferrets.  (I have
2 - two yr.  old males and 1 - ten month old female.) She obviously cannot
hear them when they are complaining and doesn't know when to quit.

I don't want to keep her separated forever, but the older ferrets are quite
upset now whenever she is up and around.  They fight over food when she is
near, and literally throw hissy fits.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  Does anyone know of a good way to train a deaf ferret?  She
doesn't nip the humans, and already is litter trained.

Nancy and her crew.
          Pogo -  2 yr. old male sable
          Sandy - 2 yr. old male silver mitt
          Lexi - 10 month old female albino