From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:04:48 -0400
 >From:    Karen <[log in to unmask]>
 >
 > 200mmg depot (3 to 4 months), costs me $75.  I have one on 300mmg
 > depot at $95.  She sends it to me in a powdered, premeasured vial,
 > and I reconstitute it here when I need it avoiding storage issues.

I assume you mean "mcg" (micrograms) instead of "mmg"?  I don't believe
there's a mmg metric abbreviation though I could be wrong.

200 mcg of 4-month Lupron Depot is a pretty low dose.  Since it's a time
release, this works out to the ferret getting 50 mcg of Lupron per
month.
This amount may work in some cases.

Many vets feel that 100 mcg of the 1-month Lupron is a good dosage
size.  I believe the smallest ferret-sized dose of 4-month Lupron that
Professional Arts Pharmacy sells is 1 mg (1000 mcg), which works out
to the ferret getting 250 mcg per month.  I have found this dosage size
to work quickly and continue working for several years in a number of
ferrets.

When you compare your pharmacist's 300 mcg dose for $95 to Professional
Art's 1000 mcg price of $100 (last time my vet purchased it), you get a
bit more than 3 times as much drug for five dollars more.

I know this is a very confusing issue with milligrams, micrograms,
1-month, 3-month, 4- month, etc., etc.  Plus, the dosage that works in
one ferret may not work in another.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*