From:
Laura Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:44:53 -0500
Hello Fuzz-lovers!

I am new to the list and just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is
Laura and I have one fuzzy; Sampson, 12 weeks.  I live in Olathe, Kansas
(a suburb of Kansas City).

I have always wanted a ferret but until recently I lived in Dallas (where
it is legal to SELL ferrets but not to OWN them - go figure!)

Also, I lived with my parents until i got married last year, and my dad
refused to allow ferrets in the house.  He was convinced they would give us
all rabies.  I researched, printed out documents galore, tried to appeal to
him on a logical, factual level....but he has this irrational fear that
nothing can shake.  When I was young and we lived in California, my parents
had a skunk and a ferret.  The skunk got distemper and gave it to the
ferret.  Both of them had to be euthanized, and until we found out it WASNT
rabies, we all had to get rabies shots (back when they gave you a series
of them in the stomach).  This was before they had a rabies vaccine for
ferrets, and my dad figured that if they could get distemper, they could
get rabies.  I told him that was 25 years ago, that there IS a rabies
vaccine now, and that the incidence of ferret rabies is lower than dogs,
even before the vaccine.  Nothing i said or did could change his mind,
unfortunately.  He probably thinks i'm exposing my family to a horrible
disease now that we have Sammy.  But oh well!  So, now my husband and I
have Sammy, and everything is just fine.

Sammy is a sweet little guy.  We found a great ferret-loving vet, and we
have a kitten, Max, that we got at the same time as Sammy.  They have
become great friends.  Although, sometimes Sam gets a little too exuberant
and Max starts to complain.  At that point I have to hold Sam and calm him
down a bit.

I have a soft sided carrier (Samsonite -- haha.  got the carrier the day
after I got sammy and my 7 year old said "Sammy in a Samsonite!" it was
pretty funny.) Anyway, Sammy and Max love to go on car rides with me, and I
find a reason to go to the pet store so they can come in with me and see
some of the world.

Sammy is VERY vocal.  When he wants attention, he just screams and yells.
It sounds like a bar-room brawl when he does it.  I have been training him
that the way to get attention is NOT to do that.  I have him out with me
most of the day (i'm a stay at home housewife) so he gets plenty of love
and affection.  But when i need to put him in his cage so i can run errands
or do housework (for his own protection) he has a FIT.  I have made a point
not to take him out until he stops yelling, and he sort of gets it; the
fits are not as long as they used to be.  He would do it for 10 or 15
minutes before, now it is more like 3 or 4.

He seems to get the litter box thing, although sometimes he will do his
business right NEXT to the box.  Is this clumsiness or some sort of
protest?  I just pick it up and put it in the box.  He seems to do that
less than he did a couple of weeks ago, also.

When I first got sammy, he bit a LOT.  and i mean BIT not nips.  he drew
blood several times.  I scruff him and tell him 'NO!', then if he keeps it
up I use bitter apple to dissuade him.  He seems to respond to that; he
tastes it then sticks his tongue out and kind of raspberries me.  He doesnt
seem to hold it against me, though.  and he is nipping a lot less.

Well! I am sorry i didnt mean to rattle on.

Do any of you live in my area?  I dont think there is a club or anything
around here.

Have a good day, fuzzys and parents!
Laura