From:
DONALD AND ELEANOR MEAD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:28:10 -0400
Just a warning to all.  A day and a half ago, my daughter's ferret had
"dead ferret syndrome".  My daughter panicked, as her baby finally came
out of it.  She's been healthy, eating well, playing, etc. with no problems
prior to this.

My husband woke me up this morning to tell me that our daughter's ferret
was dead!!!  I went in to look and she was holding her ferret in her arms.
She was cold, her tail boofed out, but looked like she died peacefully.
Her cage mate was sleeping on top of her when my daughter tried to awake
them and she did not respond!  So just a warning!  maybe dead ferret
syndrome is a sign of something else wrong!  We will never know, our
daughter will not have her autopsied ( I don't blame her).  She was buried
this morning.  Please say a prayer for her and watch your ferrets closely
if they have a bout with "dead ferret syndrome"- preferably get checked
asap by a vet.  Maybe a heart problem?  She was up playing normal and
healthy the night before.

Eleanor