From:
Robinson Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:50:38 -0500
I am a newbie when it comes to owning a ferret I will admit.  I have a
female (spayed and neutered) that is approximately 12 wks. old. names
Sable.  I bought her at a local pet store in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  I
just have a question or two I hope someone can answer.

Will she eventually calm down to the point where she can (or wants) to
be cuddled.  Right now as soon as you take her out of her cage she is a
handful to hold onto, as she wants down.  She doesn't bite but wants to be
on the move and she is out of her cage almost all waking hours, so being
cooped up in her cage shouldn't be a problem as she is barely in it!  I
have heard that they will eventually calm down at approximately 6-8 months
of age.  Right now the only time I can handle the little cutie is when she
is asleep and I pick her up.  She doesn't bite hard now, we seem to have
gotten over the drawing blood stage.  But still nips at myself and my two
young boys quite frequently.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want to raise her
right.  She gets lots of exercise, after the initial skepticism by my wife,
she has fallen completely head over heels in love with Sable and wishes
we had gotten one earlier.

Also any suggestions on the first shots and questions I should ask a vet
when tracking one down.  I have been reading the daily newsletter with
great interest over the past week and a half and I would like to praise
the new jersey rescue team.  After having a ferret for only 2 wks.  I can
see why people like you fall in love with them and want to help.  Just to
let you know people in Canada are wishing you well.

Thanks

Wayne