From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:16:51 -0700
Hello all... well some of you remember on Wednesday when I sent out an
email saying that Jenny had been found... well then I found out she
wasn't.... but now she is ... ok... let me explain.

Jenny was adopted from the shelter by her new mom Jenny.  She was around
6 months old and very sweet.  They had 2 other ferrets in the house too.
Well after just over a week of being there Jenny (the ferret) got out.
She disappeared on Monday, February 9 (which by the way was also my moms
b-day).  She didn't call me until Wednesday.  They thought Jenny was
hiding in the house.  She tore the house apart and then had a sighting
of her... and she called very upset.

So with the help of Donna and her hubby, and June and her hubby, we
started searching.  Fliers were made up and put out.  Newspaper article
was run.  A cage and trap were set out.... But nothing... nothing turned
up.  Only the one siting from Wednesday.  The guy that saw her hit her.
She had come up to him when he was getting in his car, he hit her with a
newspaper and then tried hitting her with an umbrella.

We had all come to the conclusion that someone had her.

Then Wednesday, February 25, I got a call from Jenny.  She said that the
guy who hit Jenny called her and he was reading the small paper and saw a
"found ferret" ad and he thought of her.  So she called.  It was a lady
that worked at the local pet store.  Jenny went and picked "her" up.  She
called me when they got home to tell me that "jenny" was now home and
safe.  That she grew some and was a lighter color.  Also she had what
could have been a spider bite or something on her tail.

I went over at lunch to see them.  Well, Jenny (ferret) was not Jenny.
She was a he and about 2 years old.  The bump on the tail looked like a
tumor and he had one behind his ear too.  He is very very sweet and loves
to cuddle.  While we were happy to have him in a good home where he'll be
taken care of... we also missed Sweet Jenny....

I went back to work.  I was heartbroken....

About two hours later Jenny calls me.  She got another call.  Someone
said that their relative has Jenny.  The lady said that she saw the flyer
on the ground and it looked like the ferret that he has.  Plus she saw
him tearing flyers off the signs.  She called Jenny because she thought
that the ferret must be loved if someone is going through all of the
trouble to do that.  The lady told her that Jenny was in a cage and being
fed cat food.  Also that he had a large snake.  The lady didn't want to
be identified because she didn't want trouble but gave them his name,
apartment complex and phone number.  Jenny wanted to know what to do.
I told her to call Animal Control.  I didn't want to give her wrong
information.  But thought maybe the police would have to get involved....
and if so, I could be there with her pictures if needed and to help ID
her.

Later that night after running around I got home and there was a message
on the machine, they got her.  The real Jenny.  I called her back and she
said that they had to get the police involved.  The guy tried saying that
the ferret he had was white, not sable like Jenny was.  But with the
police at his door he gave in and gave them back Jenny.

They got home and Jenny looked around, then ran up to the top of the cage
and right into her hammock!

Most likely she had been there for sometime because she didn't really
lose too much weight and was being cared for.

Jenny is now home and happy... and the new guy... he will have surgery
and stay with them unless the owner claims him.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, well wishes and for those
that helped in the search.  Everyone is a life saver.

Their story will be on the Lost Ferret Website soon.  Never Foreverland
www.geocities.com/neverforeverland.

Thank you,
Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter