From:
Reg & Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:11:43 +0900
Hi.  Have seen a couple articles about ferrets in Japan and wanted to
respond since we are currently in Okinawa, Japan, which is the southern
most island.  Things are different here than the mainland, but as for
ferrets, they are a popular pet, one of the top three for sure.  Since
housing is so small in the local community it is easier to own a ferret
or cat than a dog.  Prices for ferrets here are about $300 US dollars and
the supplies run a bit higher than most in the states.  They have some
really neat things though, including the cages-----definitely different
than you'd see elsewhere.

Delta was the only airline we could find that would allow us to bring our
ferret over in the cabin.  We had to switch to JAL to arrive here in
Okinawa and they have a special section in the lower area of the plane
where they keep the animals that is temperature controlled.  So we had to
let our little fuzzy ride there for the last short distance.  She did
pretty well and they were very quick to reunite us once we landed.
Everyone was curious to see what was in the cage and admired her.

As for ferrets on base--------no problem.  As a matter of fact, one of the
vet technicians at the vet clinic here had two ferrets of her own.  With
the help of our pharmacy back in the states we were able to have the meds
our ferret needed (the ones specially compounded) sent through the clinic
for us.  They aren't super knowledgeable about ferrets, but can do surgery
for adrenals and regular routine things too.  There are several people on
base that own ferrets.  We lost our second fuzzy last July, but are always
watching for one to need a home, but when they do, someone scoops them up
fast here!

In the states to have a ferret on base depends on the individual base.
We were stationed at Sheppard AFB in TX and had our ferrets in base
housing----just had to follow the instructions of writing a letter and
getting it to the right place.  (That state is even rabies quarantined!)
Heard that army bases don't have a problem with ferrets on base either.  So
you just have to find out from each and always be persistent about talking
to someone in a place that can make that final decision.  Rules CAN be
changed if we try hard enough.

Best to everyone and their fuzzies!