From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:00:27 -0500
Hi all,

Well, the vet appointment Saturday went pretty good.  The vet agreed to
watch them play.  They wandered around the office, catching all the new
sniffs, and then found each other.  When Roxana saw Alexander coming towards
her, just walking not leaping or running, she ran!!  You could tell by the
look on her face that she was scared.  She ran under the cabinets (you know,
that 3-4 inch underspace) and ran along the length of the cabinet.  He ran
after her, and they continued to do this for several minutes.  Then he
trapped her in the corner of the underspace.  He would try to go for the
tail, and she would snap at him.  He would back up and go for the face (or
neck), and she would bite at him.  Back and forth.  Back and forth.  All
through this, her fur was on end.  His wasn't.  Finally, he just walked away
with a air of confidence about him, as if to say, "Well, I've done my job."

The vet said this was pretty normal.  She noted that Roxana was scared, but
that the more they played together, she would probably come out of it.

We didn't get them together that night, cause they were pretty tired from
their play and shots.  But Sunday night we got them together, and every time
Alexander would come near her, she would either hide under the couch or try
to come up by me or my husband.  I tried holding Alexander so he couldn't
get to her and letting her sniff him, but when I tried this, all she wanted
to do was run away.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make her feel more comfortable
with him?  I know I kept them apart for almost a month now, with very little
interaction, but that was because she was soooo small and I didn't want him
to accidentally hurt her.  She is a lot bigger compared to a few weeks ago.
I could really use some advice on this.  I have read the FAQ, but nothing
seems to work.  Any new ideas????