Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 09:29:00 CST
Yesterday Prissy (8 yrs) passed away.  The cold we had been battling was
just too much for her.  Prissy is the mother of Vixen, Whitney (recently
passed on) and Teddy Bear (surviving), Ruby (died 1993), and mate of
Nikki (died 1992).  This makes 4 in just as many months.  Something good
has to happen soon (doesn't it?).  My condolences again, to all who have
suffered the loss of a loved one, past and future.

Ultra-sound adrenal study -
I was contacted last night by Dr. James Morrisey of the KSU Vet Med Exotic
section concearning a research study he would like to perform in March.  This
is a non-lethal study and he needs 30 healthy ferrets.  I offered 10 of mine
and rounded up 6 others so we only need 14 more.  The ferrets will be
dropped off on a Saturday or Sunday morning, blood tests will be run, their
little bellies will be shaved, and the pictures will be taken.  They can be
picked up later that day so their stay will only be a few hours.  The ferrets
will not be anesthetized unless they are too fussy, but I've already decided
not to allow mine to be anesthetized.  Hopefully, we will round up enough
ferrets that those that are too fussy just won't be used.  The advantage to
humans of these fuzzies is the blood tests are run at no charge and the
advantage to the world of ferrets will be more knowledge on the adrenals.  The
study will not be performed until sometime in March.  Anyone in our area that
would like to participate can contact me in the evenings at (913) 494-8415.

Would Dr. Weis or Dr. Williams be willing to contact Dr. Morrisey about this
study?  I can ask laymen questions but a professional will know "what"
important questions to ask.  I'm interested in opinions and suggestions from
the doctors before I committ to this study.

Mo - good point.  Some ferrets do not tolerate change very easily.  I've
never had problems but from what I've read and heard, others have.  At our
house the food is put down and it is up to the ferret as to whether or not
they eat it.  Usually "peer" pressure wins. :-)  The feral cats I feed love
it when the ferrets don't eat it because they get it!  Proceed with caution
and monitor ferrets closely (stools, vomitting, etc).  Thank you for catching
my error.  (I do have some ferrets boarding that were fed one type of food
but now they eat several and beat me to the kitchen for the "specials")
Ferrets can become junk food junkies easily so stick with high quality foods.

Hugs to all.  tle