From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:10:37 EDT
>I have discovered that, in the state where I live, the only requirement to
>open a pet store is that a person obtain A CITY BUSINESS LICENSE.  That's
>it.  No other requirements, no inspections or care requirements of any
>kind.  We wonder why they aren't taking proper care of the animals or
>selling ferrets too young, feeding them the wrong food, etc?  The local pet
>store owner here told me (quote) "I am a merchandiser, not a nursemaid.."
>He doesn't care about what is best for the animals.

In most areas, the only thing needed to open any store is the proper
license/licenses.  A building safety inspection is needed, but that really
deals more with having clearly marked exits, fire extinguishers, and smoke
detectors.

As for your local petstore owner - his philosophy is wrong.  A healthy,
alert, clean, active animal is much easier to sell (meaning higher
profits), than a sickly, lethargic, dirty animal.  It is a simple matter
of good economics.  A wise pet shop owner would not keep his ferrets in
an aquarium, but rather in a ferret cage.  Why?  The goal is to sell the
ferret AND cage.  There is no better marketing technique than having the
ferrets in the cage you want to sell - of course, a savvy merchant would
also have hammocks and other ferret products in the cage to entice
customers to buy that merchandise.  An even wiser petstore owner would have
a combo price for the ferret/cage/and basic supplies that is cheaper than
buying everything separately.  A little more work to be sure, but the
potential for profits is higher, too.  Business owners are generally more
open to helpful suggestions to increase profits than they are to lectures
from what they see as a "know-it-all."

That said, you need to understand that in most areas, the Humane Society is
a volunteer organization with no real power to do much of anything.  And
Animal Control, while an arm of the local government, is usually the local
agency with the smallest budget, and limited manpower.  Because of this,
Animal Control officers are usually limited to pursuing the most blatant
cases of abuse.  So, in cases where there are sick and dirty animals, what
can be done?  A lot - if you look at alternative solutions.  Dirty pet
store conditions can be a public health and safety issue - document the
cases of disease and approach the local Health Department and local media
with the documentation.  Take the proof you have to City and County Council
meetings and explain your concerns AS a public health issue as well as a
pet safety issue.  Describe how unhealthy pets being brought into the home
can cause illness among the human population - especially children.  How
many people would want to expose their children to the risk of illness
because of buying a pet from a bad store?  Think of your objective as a
marketing strategy and not as a Crusade for animal rights/safety.  If one
message isn't selling and the product is good, change the message.