From:
Faith Pollifrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:34:33 EDT
The only concern I have so far is how he eats.  I swear he is a ferret
that could eat a HORSE! :-(  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad
thing.  He's been like that since I got him.  I went to a shelter/pet store
and the lady there said it might be the type of food but I've changed it 3
or 4 times and now he's on Totally Ferret (which she recommended) and he
STILL eats like a pig.  (She was right about one thing though he LOVES that
food.  He will eat those ones first and then eat the other brands.  I don't
blame him really it smells better so it must taste better.)  You could fill
that bowl CONSTANTLY and he'd still eat it all.  Is that normal?  Should I
limit him?  I've resorted to giving him a small bowl (like cat size) 1/2
full twice a day.  Once in the morning after he comes out to play and once
at night before bed after he comes out to play.  Any more than this and all
he seems to do is POOP.  At first I was doing the unlimited food and boy
did he POOP like a madman.  I've never seen an animal go so much and so
often.  I know he was overeating but he just never stopped no matter what
type of food it was.  I went through one of the big bags of food in about
2 weeks.  The lady at the store tried to tell me he never did that but I
suspect she never paid attention to how he ate.  Just gave him a certain
amount and that was that.  But me reading up on ferrets...hmmm...unlimited
huh?  Oh my God...he's eating everything in sight that doesn't eat him
first!  I've also noticed since I'm spacing his food like this his
litterbox habits are pretty good.  Before I couldn't do ANYTHING towards
litter training.  Is it okay that I'm limiting to twice a day?  I don't
want him to be malnourished or anything and I've been wondering that.
Anyone I ask always says leave the food bowl full.  To do that I would have
to have an automatic feeder and it would be gone in no time.  I can't even
keep up with how much he eats.

So if anyone could answer my questions on why in the world he eats so much
and how to make a proper feeding schedule that will provide him with the
right amount at the right time I'd REALLY appreciate it.

I had to laugh.  Yesterday he was a little early for B-fast and I was
fixing my mom's.  I kept taking him away from it and putting him on the
floor and he kept getting up there.  I kept telling him no.  Finally he
walked away...a funny little hunched up look muttering to himself (never
heard him so vocal either)...all the way to his cage, all the way to the
3rd floor and I just had to laugh... It seemed like he was saying...how
come she gets B-fast before me?  I'm starving.  So yesterday he got B-fast
early.  It was just so cute and it seemed like he was asking me and since
I understood I gave it to him. :-)  It was his first real communication
to me.  Probably have been others but since I'm so new at ferrets I just
don't read him right yet. :-)  But I just couldn't get over it. :-)

Faith