From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:51:10 -0500
I just read Donnette Steele's post about the ways to put your pet to sleep.
I've heard before that there were two ways to do it, one the injection to
the heart (which doesn't always work right away, so I've heard) and the
overdose of a sedative.  Of course, the overdose sounds like the best way to
go.

My question is this: if this is more humane than the injection, why do we
have to request it??  Why isn't this standard procedure?  Is there a risk of
side effect, or something else?  Feel free to respond to this post directly
to me, but I'd suggest posting as well as I know many FML readers wonder the
same thing.

On a similar note, let me suggest this to everyone out there.  When we
decide to put our pets to sleep, it is a very difficult decision.  Many of
you followed Patches' story.  The very day he died, I had called my vet to
say I think it was time to help him cross the bridge, and we were going to
set something up for that week--he just decided for me that he was going to
ease my pain and go on his own, bless him... Anyway, I have this *wonderful,
wonderful* vet who told me that she would happily come to my home and put
him to sleep there, in his environment, in my environment--to eliminate as
much stress and sadness as possible.  I was floored that she was so
compassionate to my feelings and to Patches.  She simply said that she would
never, ever bring one of her pets to a cold, clinical vet office to end
their life, and she doesn't understand how anyone else can do it (although
she realizes that most don't have a choice).  However, she did make the
offer to me to come here and do it, and she has extended the offer to the
future should I need that service.

My vet can't possibly be the only darling, wonderful one out there.  If you
have a good relationship with your vet, perhaps ask him or her if they might
consider doing this for you.  My vet wasn't even going to charge me, but I'd
have paid anyway... Don't wait till one of your pets is ready to go to ask
your vet.  Be prepared ahead of time.  It can't hurt to ask him/her, and
believe me, even though I didn't have to use my vet's offer in Patches'
case, it brought such a sense of relief knowing that I wouldn't have to get
into my car, with my baby, and drive him somewhere to which he'd never come
back...

Just a suggestion.

Kymberlie

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady