From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:08:56 -0800
Timothy Foster writes:
>Please send me a list of ferrets that are available with descriptions.
>I have four kids and two dogs and we are thinking of getting a pair of
>ferrets.

Dear Tim and others who've asked the same question of me, let me answer in
this way:

Currently at Ferrets NorthWest FNW we have 42 ferrets in residence.  There
are, needless to say, lots and lots of choices.

I hope the WSFA Ferret Digest will indulge me in granting to me the
priviledge of listing them in several posts in this following manner:

ID number, Name, Birth date, Color, Reproductive Status, Remarks (if any)

I will endeavor to list them in the manner above in the next few days, in
perhaps four posts (10 ferrets per post), for your convenience.

Please be aware that, for liability reasons, I cannot adopt out a ferret
into a home where there are any infants or children 7 years of age or
under, and particularly, little girls.  No to potential adopters who have
certain breeds of large pure-bred hunting dogs, large snakes, or tamed,
formerly wild/part - wild animals.  Absolutely !NO! to potential adopters
who have had no experience with ferrets and who desire to adopt a FNW-bred
and weened ferret kit.  Most likely NO to adopters who live in a home with
heavy chain smokers.  NO to potential adopters who are as ignorant as was
I when I bought my first ferret, unless they FIRST agree to read Morton &
Morton's book, "Ferrets, A Complete Pet Owner's Manual with a special
chapter on Understanding Ferrets."  This is required reading for every
member of the household into which the adopted ferret will reside.

Specific cautions are explained to the potential adopter concerning the
lethality of certain other pets that may be residents of the household
into which the ferret is to reside.

All potential adopters are strongly urged to follow the specific 3-step
bonding procedures that are emphasized here at FNW, not only for all
members of the new ferret family, but also for all visitors (strangers)
who visit the home.

All potential adopters will experience a 1 to 2 hour indoctrination course
here at FNW with emphasis on inherent ferret negative behavior, handling
of ferrets for specific purposes, nutrition, basic health care, training,
recovery of lost ferret, and ferret digging 101.

To meet the expenses of maintaining the not-for-profit FNW shelter,
donations of cash ONLY monies are suggested upon completing the signing of
the adoption agreement and liability release.  No checks or credit cards
are acceptable, although credit can be extended in the form of scheduled
partial payments over time, during which period the ferret remains in the
custody of FNW.  No refunds are made, ever, and there is a $500 potential
fine in the event the adopter violates the adoption agreement and sells the
FNW ferret to a second party, unless such transfer of ownership title in
done through and with the prior approval of FNW.  In the event the ferret
can no longer remain in the primary adopter's ownership, the adopter is
required to return the ferret to FNW at his expense, as per the contract.
Violation of any part of the contract automatically schedules the violator
to explain his action to a judge.

Policy of FNW, based on bitter experience, is to ensure to the maximum
degree humanly possible, that the adoption of the ferret is a one-time,
one-way trip from FNW into the care of the adopter for the maximum time
possible unto the natural death of the ferret.  Every effort is made to
ensure that all FNW ferrets are adopted only once out of FNW and that
repeated adoptions of the same ferret into different famlies are to be
avoided to the maximum extent possible.

As a warning to ferret owners who donate sick ferrets to FNW, let it be
known that such ferrets likely will be euthanized and in no case will a
sick ferret, if after having received veterinary care, be allowed to be
reclaimed by the original donor.  Also, donors of otherwise healthy ferrets
who later decide to reclaim their ferrets will asked to pay the greater of
the minimum acceptable donation or the $5.00 per day per ferret boarding
fee, whichever is greater.

Edward Lipinski, an employee of Anne E. Lipinski, owner of FNW, is
available for one hour lecture to organized groups and will provide
illustrated, printed handouts during his lecture.  A fee $25 is charged
per lecture (in person or on video tape) and can be given anywhere within a
50-mile radius of Mercer Island, the headquarters of FNW.

Thank you,

Edward Lipinski @ Ferrets NorthWest FNW
Omne ignotum pro magnifico [L.] Everything unknown (is assumed to be)
something magnificant.