Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:04:42 -0500
Someone asked how iguanas get along with ferrets.  In my experience, they
don't.  It depends on the size of the iguana though.

My iguana is over three feet and housed in a 2' X 4' cage.  One evening I
heard a scuffle in the ferrets' room.  This is not unusual, as the natives
can get pretty restless and at times have been known to knock things over.
But after a few minutes, I decided to check on the critters just in case.

Both my ferrets were very, very excited and running around the room like
they were possessed.  I looked in the iguana cage and saw that her water
crock had been spilled all over the place, and the iguana looked "mad".
There was a tiny bit of blood on her face and...eeks!... tiny white ferret
hairs in her mouth!  Somehow the ferrets had entered her cage, taken a
frolic in the ig's water bowl, had given the iguana a "kiss"... got a nasty
bite in return, and gotten the hell outa there!  In my opinion, if the
iguana had been even a little bit smaller or less defensive, she would have
sustained serious injuries.   The ferts were unharmed physically.  Still...
reptiles and ferrets just don't mix.

cadel