Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:19:02 +0000
I'm seeing all these posts about the dangers of sleeper sofas but no
one is mentioning the fact that REGULAR sofas can be VERY dangerous for
ferrets as well. And when I hear a lot of you saying that your solution
was to STAPLE fabric on the bottom - I shudder - and this is why.

Seven years ago when I was still pretty new to ferret ownership I had
a sofa and loveseat. My ferrets tore a hole under the cushions so they
could sleep inside the sofa. One day one of my ferrets, Eddy, came out
from the sofa with his eye bleeding and bulging. I rushed him to the
vet. He had lacerated his eye - most likely on a furniture staple -
and had to go into emergency surgery to have the eye removed. This is
what he looked like after the surgery -
http://www.ferretocious.com/eddy5.jpg
As soon as I got home from the vets I dragged both the sofa and
loveseat to the curb. And ever since then I have ONLY had futons.

If you have furniture your ferrets can get inside - sofas, chairs,
loveseats - please don't think it's OK and something like this won't
happen to them. If not catching an eye on a staple - from the furniture
or that YOU put there - they could be crushed when someone sits on the
furniture not knowing they're there. IKEA has some great futons - and
hey, sofas are so passE anyway!

So be safe - please don't let one of your fuzzies end up losing an eye
like poor Eddy did!

Laura