From:
Linda Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:52:11 -0400
Dooks.

I have a question about insulinoma that is puzzling.  My oldest female
ferret Tacoma was diagnosed with insulinoma back in March of this year.
She had a BG of 39 and was showing symptoms of insulinoma so I took her
to the vet the very next day.  While at the vet for her visit Tacoma
started to have another episode indicative of low blood glucose;
lethargy, drooling, limpness, unaware of surroundings and somewhat
unresponsive.  Her reading at the vet was 34.  She was diagnosed with
insulinoma and put on prednisolone and has been on it since.  That was
8 months ago.  We do her blood glucose tests on a regular basis and her
readings of the last few times was roughly 69 and 63 on the meds, so I
decided to have the pancreatic surgery done.  During her surgery today,
my vet said he could not find any nodules or tumors on the pancreas at
all.  He stated that he has never seen that before.

My question is whether anyone else has ever had this happen and why or
what would make this happen?  I would like to hear from anyone who is
willing to share their thoughts and ideas.  I am stumped and I do not
want to make my own assumptions plus I am wonder if I made a mistake
having the surgery.  I have read many articles and they almost always
suggest surgery right away for insulinoma and was wondering how many
times other people have run into a similar situation.  Please email me
privately and thank you in advance.

Linda and all my critters  :-D
--

/**/Dooks/**/ from me & my ferrets--Tacoma , Kodo, Dakota &