From:
mellisad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 13:42:34 -0500
I wanted to than everyone who responded to my previous request for advice
and suggestions about the extended care of a deathly ill ferret.  I deeply
appreciate the outpouring of encouragement, support, and advise.  The baby
ferret is recovering well, and her condition is stabalized at this point.
We have named this baby "Hope."

Hope is now alert, and able to walk.  She is getting lots of loving care
from my husband and I, and she is expected to make a full recovery.  The
vet suspects she has Influenza.  She has a swollen scabbed over vulva
(which was caked in feces when I got her).  She is loaded with ear mites.
She is on a lot of antibiotics, and thankfully, is showing termendous
improvement.  She no longer needs iv fluids - she is rehydrated and
eagerly accepting handfed baby food, nutritional supplements and liquids.
Once her body is a little more replinished, she will be able to have
mushed up ferret food added to her diet over the next few days.

I created a website about the abuse this animal has endured, as well as
the indifference of Pet Supermarket that let her just wither away.  Some
of the pictures I posted are horrific, but pictures can say so much more
than words.  http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html

I have also notified Marshall Farms via phone, and am providing them
with complete documentation, including pictures of the abuse this animal
suffered.  All documentation, as well as a written statement from our
vet will be given to the Pet Supermarket corporation, the local humane
society, animal control, news media, the Better Business Bureau, and
anyone else that will listen.  I am furious that this abuse was allowed
to happen.

Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advise.  I will continue
to post updates on Hope's progress!

Mellisa (Cid, Boo, and Hope)
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html