Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:29:26 -0800
Many ferrets are sold here in Reno to people living in California.

We have a educational booth at the local PetCo on Saturday.

I can tell you we have had MANY conversations with folks from CA that
are convinced it's legal to OWN a ferret in CA, but not to buy or sell
one.

When pressed for the source of their info, they can't remember, or get
downright testy. We now have a handout to give them stating what the
law says, and how to research for themselves. I just refuse to argue.

Are ferrets confiscated from people in California? YES

We have several here. These were the lucky ones, transported legally,
with the proper paperwork.

How/why were they confiscated?

Jackson, escaped, mauled by a dog that took him into a house. These
folks thought *rabid squirrel* and called AC.

The kind officer took Jackson to a vet that had never seen a ferret,
but he stapled Jackson back together. The AC officer called us, I drove
300+ miles to bring him out of state.

When I picked Jackson up, the AC officer actually cried. She loved the
little guy, but would risk her job if he were returned to the owner,
or even if she kept him herself. Jackson had the privilege of being in
Super Tonks and Isabella Gucci's wedding.

Korbel
A baby ferret purchased probably here in Reno. Her owners took her on
a trip so she wouldn't be left home alone. Left her in a motel, did
not return before check-out.

Turned in as abandoned animal. Korbel was about 10 weeks old.

Garret
Victim of a meth lab raid. Starved, neglected, nursed back to health
by the person that could not keep him in CA.

Just a few of the lucky ones....

Ardith
Reno, NV