Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:59:53 EDT
Dakota's home right now and taking a nap.  He went straight for the food
bowl when i let him out of the carrier, so his appetite is good.  I called
the vets at 3:00 and they told me he could come home!!!  So about 4:00 we
picked him up, when the vet tech finally brought him out I cried :)  I
missed him!  He was pretty excited to see me too!  He was rolling around in
the carrier!  He looks so sad (and kinda funny) with both his arms shaved
and bumpy from all the shots and IVs...

The bill wasn't too bad, $209 for the emergency clinic and $71 yesterday
(30 for his exam, $17 for the [evil] shot and i had brought Noel along, $30
for her exam.  I didn't mention yesterday that the vet DID give him some
meds before telling us to go to the E.R., she didn't charge us for these
meds or for the antibiotic cream for Noel's boo-boo.  I've gotten a couple
e-mails suggesting i change vets, my current vet asked me to call her
tomorrow and update her on kota.  I'll ask her to report his reaction to
the company, if she doesn't i'm definitely going to change vets).

Also, someone mentioned to me that their vet gives the shots in the rear
area and takes their temps before doing so.  My vet gave it by his scruff
and tried to take his temp before the shot but we decided to skip it
because he got really squirmy and upset about it (possibly the extra stress
from the temp taking could've played a part in the reaction??  she never
took his temp before except for when he was sick.) Does it matter where
they get the shot?

THANK YOU everyone who replied and or prayed/hoped that Dakota would be
alright!!!  he really did a lot better than i thought he would!!!

I've learned a lot from this experience... I USED TO think vaccine
reactions was one of those "it'll never happen to me" kinda things, don't
do this!  BE CAREFUL!  I decided to premed him with the benadryl "just in
case", he STILL had a bad reaction, if i didn't give him the benadryl he
could've possibly died!  Also, if you're going to a vet appt to get a shot,
try to just bring that ferret!  I brought Noel along, so she had to come to
the E.R. with us, it was pretty stressful on her, she didn't know what was
going on and why she couldn't come out of the carrier, she kept scratching
at the door trying to get out!  Having her there was stressful on me too!
I hope this can and will help someone out there!  DON'T learn this the hard
way like i did and have your ferret suffer through a reaction!

thanks!
- Annamarie and her Fab Four of Ferrets...
**Dakota, Autumn, Noel, and  Dweezil**
       My outlook is that little things are the trip.
             I'm very happy with very little.
          Maybe that is why I have so much.
                                                - Linda McCartney