Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:01:00 -0400
Selina wrote on 7/15/2006, 12:39 PM:
>I'm somewhat stunned this morning to read a message on the FML from
>Joanne at Support Our Shelters (SOS) stating that University of
>Georgia will no longer be doing any ADV research.  it is especially
>disappointing coming after Danee's vision of an ADV vaccine in 4 years,
>and the efforts at International Ferret Congress (IFC) Ferret Aid to
>raise money (at least $1500 as far as I know) for ADV research.

Selina and others,
I am in the process of trying to get to the bottom of this.  I think
that there may have been a miscommunication between Joanne and Kate, or
whoever was involved.

Kate emailed me right before the Toronto Symposium, to say she was
leaving UGA to attend vet school in Michigan.  This was good news for
her, and she had been trying to get into vet school for several years at
UGA.

UGA is one of the top schools for veterinary medicine, and only admits
a small number students each year into their program.  Kate had a lower
GPA for her undergraduate work then they will normally consider, and so
she had worked on a Masters degree at UGA, to try and prove herself.
However, it apparently was not enough.  I personally feel it is a shame
they did not accept her, as I think she has proved her dedication and
desire to become a vet, and I think she will make an excellent vet when
she finishes her work.  But, UGA's loss is Michigan's gain.

When Kate contacted me, she sent me a name for a contact for submitting
tissue samples.  I did not have time to act on the email before I left
for Toronto, and before posting anything about it to the lists, I was
trying to also get a new contact for submitting donations.
Unfortunately, Dr. Ritchie, who heads the program there, is very hard to
catch on the phone, and is also very slow at returning phone calls and
emails.

I interviewed Dr. Ritchie by phone in January for the article I wrote
for Ferrets Magazine.  At that time, he indicated the group was very
eager to work on an ADV vaccine, and basically just needed the money to
do it.  He estimated that the amount needed to develop a vaccine was
$240,000.00 total, or $60,000.00 a year for 4 years.

My personal belief is that this has not changed.  It is possible that the
active research currently being worked on at UGA is with domestic skunks,
because they still need to develop and prove that the tests they have for
detecting ADV in skunks are completely reliable.  But, I do not think
they have completely abandoned their work on ADV in ferrets.  It is very
possible that donations sent for research on a ferret vaccine will simply
be held until enough money is collected to go forward.

So, before everyone gets upset, I would suggest waiting until Joanne,
someone else, or I can verify the information.  And, as a point of
information, I am still holding the money that was collected in Toronto
on the raffle of the afghan.  Randy still has the money from the raffle
of the necklace, as well.

Also, please note - I am not saying Joanne is wrong, just that what she
posted conflicts with the information I have.  The best thing we can do
right now is verify what the correct information is.

--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator