From:
Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:39:21 -0600
Whew!  I didn't check my mail all through vacation, and it's taken me almost
two hours to get through it all!

Snow Ferrets -We went to the farm for Thanksgiving, and all had a blast.
Boomer and Bonnie (my uncle's blue heeler) polished off the pumpkin pie
leftovers, and then took a nap together.  Both of our weasels love to go
outside in the winter.  Bongo is usually happy riding in our coat, but every
once in a while, she'll get down and snorkle until her feet get cold.
Boomer makes a tunnel the instant he hits snow, and is off.  He loves the
snow, and would stay out in it until he froze if we let him.  His little
feet and nose turn hot pink, but he doesn't really shiver.  They both have
snow suits we made for them.  Everyone in ND wears wool socks from
October-April, so I took our old socks with the heels blown out, cut the
foot part off, and cut leg holes in the cuff part.  Then I cut a hole in the
top for the leash to go through, and ta-daaa!  A ferret snow suit.  If the
cuff is really long, you can fold the top down and make a turtleneck.  (more
entertaining to you than to the fert, tho'.) It takes them a while to get
used to it, but once they get out in the snow, they get distracted and
forget about it.

Spiders - Both of our ferrets will eat any bug they come across.  This
weekend, Boomer found a cricket and ate it.  They only reason we found out
was because he had a cricket leg hanging out of his mouth.  Bongo will go
berserk trying to catch houseflies, and she once ate a HUGE, unbelievably
ugly spider.  YECCH.  Must be a ferret quirk.  Fortunately, we don't have
any poisonous ones around here.

Scratchy thighs - Hoo, did I laugh when I read this!  Boomer **LOVES** this.
Just touch his back leg, and he sticks it straight up in the air - almost
like a salute!  He'll even do it when he's sound asleep.  Bongo will do it
sometimes, but not always.

Tanya
Boomer ("Ooh, that's the spot..")
Bongo ("I'll scratch my own cooties, thanks.")