From:
Matt Staroscik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 00:13:55 -0700
>hi, I am having problems about ferrets' smell in the house...

Mike,

I have 2 suggestions for you.

One, change their bedding more often.  The oils from their skin collect
in the bedding and pretty quickly you get that smell.  Get a bunch of
old t-shirts and other comfy rags and try to change the bedding twice as
often.

I know it can be a pain removing and replacing hammocks and other hanging
bedding.  If that is keeping you from doing laundry more often, try just
not using them, or not using as many.

Two, build a completely enclosed litter box.  I built one and couldn't
be happier with how much it helped.  It also makes the cage stay clean
longer, and there is more sleeping space because the whole cage floor is
bedding now.  You can see photos and read directions on my web site.

http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/litterbox

Between these two things I have greatly reduced the smell from the cage.
You can still tell there's a ferret cage if you are in the room, but it
isn't offensive anymore, and the smell does not get out of that one room.

Good luck!

- Matt