From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 18:36:51 EDT
Anonymous wrote:
>And as far as intelligence goes, one example that comes to mind in my
>case is: After sevel days / weeks of using the litter pan faithfully, then
>deciding to start the pattern of using the floor of the cage at night on a
>regular basis.  Most of the time I can catch him right after he has done it
>and punish him with time out or scruffing and shouting no!  but it's the
>same routine over and over.  It seems to me an "intelligent" animal would
>learn this is unacceptable after a few times...

Dear Anonymous,

I believe you may be equating "intelligence" with human standards for
sanitation and also for obedience.

Ferrets are extremely intelligent.  Using a litter pan when and where you
want them to, or not responding to your punishment, has nothing to do with
their intelligence.  Seems to me that these are unrelated issues.

I also do not think that ferrets deliberately try to annoy people by doing
things we may not want them to do.

There have been several posts lately implying that ferrets do things to
annoy people, when in reality ferrets are acting in accordance with their
nature.  I find these posts disturbing.  Some of the recent
biting/punishing posts come to mind.

If a ferret does something that you find bothersome, please consider
whether this is something that is natural behavior for a ferret, before you
think that a ferret should be "punished." There are ways to work around
behaviors such as digging, nipping, litter pan problems, etc.  without
"punishing."

And I agree with people who have posted that ferrets (any animal, child)
should NEVER be hit.  If you are hitting your ferret (etc.) please step
back and consider why you are using your superior physical force to try
to get a smaller being to "obey" you.

Just my 2 cents.
Ronnie in Mass.