From:
Gloria Jouppien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 00:07:00 +0900
Hi all

It's been a long while since I've posted, so I thought I'd catch everyone up
on how we're doing.  Whitey and Sable are doing great (some of you might
remember them as Clark Sable and Whitey Houston, their formal names).
They've been entertaining a lot of foster ferrets and ferrets needing
baby-sitting care for the local shelter.  I can't stress enough what a great
thing it is to be a foster parent ("farent") and encourage any of you with a
loving heart and the room to share your home to go on out and do the same.
Shelters are often over-burdened with orphans and need the assistance.
It'll change your life, I guarantee it.  :)

In June I took Whitey to school.  That's right, elementary school and he was
a big hit with the kids.  We were only supposed to stay an hour, but we
ended up being invited to stay from 1:30 p.m. till 4 p.m.  We even had kids
following us to the car, begging us to stay longer!  Whitey had a great time
at recess digging in the sandbox and the kids learned how to ferret proof
and be responsible pet owners.  It was a great day for everyone.

Some of you might have remembered Flower and Kanga(roo), two of the ferrets
I fostered (you can see photos of them on my web page).  They were adopted
by a wonderful couple from the Gaspe region.  I've fostered others since
then, and seen a few adoptions---very happy ones.  For example, Samba and
Scamper have found a home with a couple who do work with disabled children
(a program called "Trott"---encorporating kids and horses with
physiotherapy).  The local shelter has been busy this month, so I'm glad
people remember it when they're thinking of expanding their families.

Two new orphan faces I have seen around here are Rusty and Bear.  Thanks to
Tanya and the Fredericton S.P.C.A.  (thanks Cathy!), Bear has a chance for a
better life.  He escaped from a breeder (she didn't notice he was missing
for 2 months).  The woman refused to pay the S.P.C.A. for keeping him and
now he's a cheerful, descented (*pew!*) neutered little guy waiting for a
good home with us.  Several people are already interested.

Last but not least, Homer and Bitsy are visiting with us till Monday.  We're
baby-sitting them until their Dad comes home from business in Toronto.  All
procedes go to our local shelter.

So everyone do what you can, and help control the pet population.  Hug your
ferrets, and give a thought to opening your homes and hearts to your local
shelters.  Ferret dooks to you all!

Glor and fuzz-muffins
(http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/~aa558/welcome.html)