From:
Antonio Contreras <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:44:00 -0500
Hi to all!

My ferret, Fudge, has owned me for a short time (1 week exactly today).  I
think we're both very happy to have each other.  All my plans to first buy
the supplies necessary to his well being, then wait till I moved out of my
current apartment before buying him vanished when I saw him, and could no
longer wait... Don't tell my landlord....

Today, he gave me the biggest fright ever.  I though I had "ferret-proofed"
as much as I possibly could.... But I guess it just wasn't enough.  Fudge
had been acting funny all day, scared and even confused at times.  this
evening, it all became clear: hed had eaten some stuff he really shouldn't
have, the cord from one of my sweatshirts, and the inside of my couch to
some extent.  Now, I knew he did hide in there, but since he wouldn't spend
much time there I was confident he was safe; I even checked the inside to be
sure, and not much seemed to be there for him to chew on in any case.

Well, he did find those things pallatable, though not enough.  A few hours
ago, he threw up about 2 inches of my sweatshirt (not in one piece though),
and one of carpet/sofa.  I couldn't believe it, and still can't.  Not after
reading in the newsletter how the poor things do when they have little
things in their stomachs.  The stuff was soaked with Ferretone, of which I'm
grateful siince I suspect the oily nature of it helped him eject the
forreign materials better.  Yes, I could kick myself in the behind for
letting this happen.  I promised him it would never happen again.  It won't.

All this to say, you just can't do enough to protect them from themselves,
nor from yourself I guess.  Anyway, he's eating right now, and has been his
usual self for an hour almost.  He's off to the vet tomorrow anyway, first
thing in the morning.

Thank you all for all your postings.  I've found a lot of practical
information in the letter.  Hope to write again with nothing but happy
things to say (since tis true that the laetter has been somewhat sombre
lately...)

A. Contreras