From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 09:19:07 -0500
THE ADVICE DISPENSED BY MYSELF IN REFERENCE TO FML POSTINGS IS NOT MEANT TO
SUPPLANT THE ADVICE OF VETERINARIANS WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF THE PATIENT.  IF
THE PATIENT IS NOT CURRENTLY UNDER THE CARE OF A VETERINARIAN, THE CLIENT IS
RECOMMENDED TO TAKE THEIR FERRET TO ONE.

>From:    Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question for the Vets
>[re Giardia]

Coccidia and Giardia are transmitted by a fecal-oral route (i.e., they got
to ingest feces).  To pick up a ferret in one place, walk around all day and
then handle your ferrets and transmit coccidia or giardia is bit of a
stretch (one never says never in medicine:) ).  A virus would be most likely
if you are considering you have transmitted something.  Bacteria are a
possibility but most would die off from regular hand washing with soap.
Albon and flagyl are both not only worming medications but antibiotics as
well.  Albon = sulfa antibiotic.  Flagyl = metronidazole.  Metronidazole
also has some anti-inflammatory properties.

Virus that cause enteritis like ECE also have a secondary bacterial
infection that can worsen the symptoms.

A possible explanation for everything.  You brought a virus home.  Albon did
not work because it was mostly a viral induced diarrhea.  Flagyl did because
of local anti-inflammatory activity.

The two new ferrets , Gaoth and Cyrex, added stress to the home environemnt
and the diarrhea relapsed.  They all continued to get better on the flagyl.
For Gigi, she might not have been exposed if Cyrex was not shedding virus or
she might have prior immunity to the virus (remember we are talking about an
unknown enteritis virus, not ECE in particular).  The same possbilities
exist for Quidni also.

>From:    Deana Beek <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: hot temperatures
>My next question is regarding ferrets and hot temperatures.  I was
>wondering what some of you without air conditioning do...

Just a quick note about hyperthermia in ferrets.  Ferrets do not perspire so
they do not have evaporation as a cooling method like people.  They cool
their bodies by exchanging cool, dry air for their body s hot, moist lung
air.  When the humidity goes up and/ or the temperature goes up, this
cooling mechanism is severely impaired.

So using just a fan (especially on a humid day) does not do much for a
ferret.  Instead of him breathing hot, still air; he is breathing hot,
moving air.  You need to cool the air to a lower temperature and hopefully
dehumidify it also.  Air conditioning is the bext way.  I have clients who
A/C a small area to reduce the energy costs.

>From:    chris knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Low blood sugar
>To any vets or anyone with any experience with this, please help!  My
>ferret Podo who we adopted 2 months ago has been very lethargic and does
>nothing but eat and sleep.

It looks, smells and sounds like an insulinoma.  I think the treatments are
outlined in a FAQ.  If your vet has a question, have her/him call me (I am
in the AVMA directory).

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.