Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:14:30 -0500
My home is totally Dervish's now.  I sacrificed my favorite pair of
bright-pink socks for her; one has plastic bags in the foot, the other has
jingle bells (both are stitched shut for safety).  I made her a collar out
of the ball chain from my father's Army dogtags...I just noticed today that
she'd gotten out of it and it's long gone.  *Sigh.*  I guess I'll just have
to get her one of the actual ferret collars from the pet store.

I've gotten those shallow, disposable aluminum pans to use for litter
trays.  It seems to work, except that Dervish always forgets to use them.
Why will a ferret refuse to use a once-dirtied litter box, and yet happily
poop repeatedly in another spot in the cage?!?

We've invented another game, similar to the Ferret Jig.  We call it
"Matador"...you drag a blanket across the floor and twist/lift it whenever
the ferret charges.  Occasionally mix it up by dropping the blanket on the
ferret.

She must be in training for the F.L.O.  She's a master at getting into the
couch the second I turn away, which drives me nuts not only for the safety
factor, but also because she does it in the two seconds before I go to put
her in her cage so I can leave for class!!  She loves to overturn glasses
in the hopes that there's Kool-Aid in them, even though I chastise her
mightily for doing so.  Do ferrets just have no depth perception?  It's
horrible, but so funny, when she tries to leap from the bed to the dresser
and just misses completely.  (And how does she never get hurt?!?)

Funny story.  I use T-shirts for her bedding, and I switch them out every
few days.  The most recent bedding was from my ex-boyfriend, one of his
very favorite T-shirts ever (I thought she'd like it 'cause it's really
soft and comfy).  Guess what Dervish did?  The next morning I found the
shirt in her litter pan, shall we say, dirtied!  I guess he won't be
wanting it back...

-(Texas) Meghan and Dervish (Come on, Mom, let's dance!!)

p.s.  My roommate's Duprasi gerbils, usually pretty nondescript, have
started dooking.  It's very odd, and kind of scary.

p.p.s.  I've taken a whole roll of Dervish photos.  Is this normal?  And by
"normal" I mean "normal for ferret owners."

 "I'm not wearing any socks.  And I'm not going to tell you why I'm not
 wearing any socks because that is part of the mystery of me."

 --Daniel Maclovor
  --"House"