From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:05:43 -0700
I apologize if I am repeating anything already said, but...

I have successfully been able to give flagyl to my ferrets by having the
vet put it in a capsule (the kind that dissolves).  they can do this two
ways: either by cutting it up themselves or by calling the prescription
into a pharmacy.  The latter is more exact, of course.  Putting it in a
capsule requires a pill gun, but I've found that coating the capsule with
ferretone and scruffing the ferret works.  Make sure the capsule the vet
uses is as small as possible though.

This method is a lot less painful than trying to give them the oral
suspension or the tablet.  The first time I tried the tablet my ferret
Zooey threw up all over my hand and the floor.  I thought I could mask the
taste by giving it to her with peanut butter all over it; now, 3 years
later, she still won't touch peanut butter (she used to LOVE it).  The oral
suspension was no more successful with Linus when he got sick.  Since
then my ferrets have been prescribed flagyl at least six times (different
occasions, not all ferrets each time) and in capsule form I've never had
another problem.

Minta