Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:58:00 -0500
Hi.  This is my first post, but I have a lot to say/ask

    To:  E. Callisto

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not feed your ferret Friskies or any other cheap
cat food.  I'm speaking from experience.  When we got our second ferret
(Coke), we got him free from a co-worker of mine.  He was the most pitiful
thing I've ever seen.  He was full grown, but weighed less than a pound (he
now weighs nearly five pounds during the winter).  He had been fed nothing
but cheap cat food his whole life.  He would viciously attack anyone who
came near him, because he was so hungry and malnourished.  I once made the
mistake of trying to coax him out from a hiding place with a treat, and
ended up running to the living room to have my husband pry him off my
finger, he was that hungry.  We switched him to MF Ferret Food, and within
a few weeks, he had put on weight, started playing with his new sister,
Cinnamon (he never played, either, because he just had no energy reserves),
and stopped biting.  He's now the sweetest guy you'll ever meet, and loves
nothing more than to give his Mommy "nose-kissies".  The bottom line is
this: Ferrets NEED animal products, which cheap cat foods just don't
provide.  If you *must* feed your ferret cat food, at least make sure it's
high quality, like Iams.

Now on to other things.

My husband and I live in Portage, Michigan (near Kalamazoo).  I'm interested
in volunteering some time at a ferret shelter, but don't know of one near
enough.  If anyone knows of one, please post or email me at

Also, does anyone know of a good vet in the area?  We're looking for a
better vet, because we aren't particularly happy with the one we're using.

One more thing:  Is there a ferret club in the area?  If not, would anyone
be interested in starting one?

Becky DeGeer  <[log in to unmask]>  (Hey, get out of there!)
Cinnamon  (I may be the smallest, but I'm the queen, and you better not
forget it.)
Coke  (the Waddling Wonder)  (I'm not fat . . . I'm well-insulated!)
Pixie  (Me . . . and my Sliiiiiiiiiiiii--nky . . . )
Chitterbox (I *am not* a little monster . . . . I'm a *great big*
monster!!!)