From:
"Stines, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:31:24 -0500
Finally, a topic I am qualified to enter.  I've noticed a few posts about
people questioning where the funds are spent in regards to rescues and
shelters both big and small.  In turn, many people get defensive and
think the motives of the rescue are less than pure.  As an Accountant I
can tell you, "disclosure" is the key word.

Ever since the Enron debacle and subsequent outings of bad financials,
people are more inclined to question the motives of those they entrust
with their money.  The best way (currently) to combat this problem is
with an "open books" policy.  Any good rescue/shelter knows that, like
any other business, personal and business funds need to be kept separate.
This is important not just because it helps keep every thing straight and
honest, but if you were ever audited, you need a clear paper trail to
keep the tax man out of your pockets.  (To the IRS you are guilty till
proven innocent).

Once these items are kept separate, a simple accounting system is needed.
The computer is the better way, just because it is standardized,
eliminates human error and requires little accounting knowledge to make
it work.  I have used Peachtree and QuickBooks, both work well.  The
drawback is they can be expensive.  But even a simple hand written ledger
system is ok.  If good records are kept, then financials can be prepared.
A simple list of what money came in, where it has been spent and what (if
any) is left is all that is needed to set many people's mind at ease.
This will let others know you are careful with the money, it will help
budget future needs and analyze where cuts can be made.  If you are big
enough to declare yourself a 501(c) Not for Profit Corp, these things are
essential.  I have been in this profession for many years and a candidate
for my CPA.  While I am in school and time is tight, I would still be
happy to help anyone set these things up or answer further questions.  I
can be reached at:

James (future CPA), Melissa, Kassidy & Jasmine

Loving:  Bebe, Riley, Fred & Max
Missing: Wheezer, Pym, Rikki, Jako