From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 02:13:45 -0800
    Way back when I had only two ferrets, When I noticed they needed a bath
I simply took them into the shower with me.  (seemed the easiest thing to
do).  Holding them close to me, they accepted the soaping & rinsing so well,
they fell asleep against my body with the warm water flowing over the three
of us.  Very sweet and cozy.

    I did learn that most human shampoo has the wrong ph so their fur would
get rough unless I used ferret specific shampoo.

    I think most of the troubles I hear about bathing involve them getting
wet & the people staying dry..  Probably instills fear that something is
being "done to them" rather than "lets do something together".  Anyone with
a closed door between them & a ferret knows that they want to be with their
people, the people they love and adore.

    Well, you get the point.  Maby I'm also somewhat lazy & look for the
easy way to do things, but even with eight, I just gather them on the
bathroom floor, get into the shower, & they're literally climbing the tub
walls to get into the shower with me.  I have a valve in the shower head to
cut off the water in between operations, so I towel dry one & put the towel
& the ferret on the floor, & go on to the next one with little trouble.  If
one is afraid at first, I hold them next to me in front, (claws away from my
body) and with my back to the shower head, let the water slowly come over my
shoulder while talking soft reassurances.

    I guess I also remember that old phrase from the 60's; "save water,
shower with a friend"...  It's still more fun that way!

    Enjoy, Gary

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.