Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:30:26 +0100
It can be difficult sometimes.

I currently have 14 ferrets, all rescues, all taken in at different
times.  Cages put next to each other can help, they get used to the
others smell, but can't get at each other.  You then confuse the issue
by swopping the ferrets bedding between the cages, and also swopping
the ferrets round too.

Then you pick neutral territory.  Some place /room that will be new to
all the ferrets.  Put a spot of their favourite Ferretone or ferretvite
on their backs.  Once they hve finished exploring the new environment,
they should start licking one anothers back.  This is the time to put
them into a clean, cage with freshly washed bedding that has no scent on.

Rember that ferrets do rag one another, and sometimes you have a to allow
a little ruff and tumble for them to establish a pecking order.  Having
said that, if one draws blood i intervene.  But i don't put them away,
I leave them, then interven if they get nasty again.  I class nasty as
drawing blood or simply refusing to let go of the other ferret.  A
classic sign that one of the ferrets is in distress will not be missed.
A ferret poof as i call it is the worst smell i've ever come across.
Thats a ferrets way of saying, hey enough i'm scared you're hurting me,
mom get me outta here.

Sometimes I've had no probs with introductions as long as I've used tone.
The only introductoin I've had a problem with was a rescue we got about 4
weeks ago.  Spooky, and albino jill, who was in season and very hormonal.
She's in a cage on her own at the momment, shes had a hormone jab from
the vet which should bring her out of season, so she can be spayed.  I'm
sure she willl be much more settled when she#s had the op, and will soon
settle with the others.

Don't give up on your ferrets being together, keep trying, but remember
some ferrets will play together ok, but may not be able to actaully live
in the same cage.

hope all goes well
Carol