From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 11:03:03 -0700
To Pam Grant: "Males are larger and get into less trouble." Huh? I once
tried to adopt out a male who turned out to be really good at digging at
carpets like any other ferret and also hauling things like packs and
hiking sticks from one end of the house to the other. The family ended up
giving him back (I know -- no sense of humor). Poor guy. Actually, he
ended up getting a really good home with a ferret run outdoors, two more
ferret buddies, and three cats and three dogs.

On my new adopted ferret: Surprisingly, the vet assistant didn't think it
necessary to give this ferret either distemper or rabies shots because the
ferret never went outside. I insisted that she administer the distemper
shot before I picked up the ferret; she wasn't willing to pay for the rabies
shot, so I'll have to pay for the rabies shot next week. I didn't even know
what to say to her except, "I always get my ferrets vaccinated. I don't
take any chances. They CAN get outside." (I didn't think to mention the
vet's office with all those sick animals waiting to be treated.)

Question: This ferret is a couple of years old. We don't know her family
history. Does that mean she needs three distemper shots to get started,
or does that apply only to kits?

On the ferret in the plastic bag in Montreal: Sick. That is really
inexcusable behavior. I think someone should take the perpetrators
and stick them in a plastic bag until they start to have trouble
breathing and see how they like it. Frankie: "Yeah, Mom, can we help?"
Espie: "I can't stand it -- I can't look." Munchie: "Eeeeeeee er-er-er
eeeeeeeee!" (Try to imagine an Indian war cry here, a high-pitched
shriek, with little agitated chitters in-between attacks.) Lucky Charm:
"Let's see if I can chew through this plastic bag and bite real hard."

                        Linda