From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 22:15:10 -0400
Hi!

Well, it's happened again.  One ferret passes on and suddenly 2 more come
along!  We didn't mean it to, really.  We just stopped in some strange little
pet store to see if they had any pelleted litter and ...  they had 2 ferrets.

I know I've said it before, and I hope I never say it again - I don't want to
keep buying them, since I know there are so many that are in rescues that
need homes, but we *had* to take them home.

They had a 1 year old sable in a tank so small he couldn't stand up fully.
He didn't have a food bowl, and was/is a skinny fellow.  When we talked to
him, he kept trying to kiss us.  In the next, and smaller tank over was a
large baby chocolate boy busy dancing and slamming around - we were warned
that he's a biter.  The conditions of the cages were horrible - both were in
filthy cedar chips, and both were sleeping in less dirty litter pans.  When
my husband asked how much for both, I couldn't believe it!  They were willing
to let us have both for 1/2 price (we were, after all getting rid of 2
undesirable critters for them).  We couldn't leave them.

They've both danced and dooked all over the apartment - for hours. I've
never seen a jumper like the older one. The young one hasn't nipped yet.
I'm keeping them seperate from the others until we can get to the vet - how
long should I keep them seperate if I don't see any health problems & I
can't immediatly get an appointment?

There has to be a better way of dealing with finding ferrets in conditions
like these! (Besides, of course, only going into stores that don't sell
ferrets). If anyone out there has any other suggestions, or can tell me who
I should contact in Pennsylvania if I see it again, please let me know!

Andi and the ever growing crew of 7