Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:14:29 -0500
Rachel-

The ferret you describe, should in my estimation, have a barium radiograph
( x-ray) to check for stomach/ intestinal blockage.  We recently had a
ferret here at the shelter that was like that-- food intake was minimal,
projectile diarrhea and occasional vomiting.  In the end the ferrets belly
was full of hair ball, etc and no food could be absorbed-- it had / has
( though getting much better at a weight of 3 #) severe malabsorption
problems due to this-- the intestinal tract had a severe infection due to
the stress, illness and lack of nourishment as well.

The regular x-rays ( taken twice) showed nothing-- full boold work
showed nothing, he appeared anemic though counts were in normal range
(Malabsorption problem) it was a barium x-ray which told other story -- so
if you haven't done that I would suggest it ASAP.  We ended up paying a
total of $1000, in bills for this kid he is still putting on weight and
getting in a good coat-- we could have saved $500 of that had we done (had
the original vet followed our request) and gotten the barium x-ray.

I am NOT a vet, but I urge you to not let this go for too long-- now would
be a good time to rule out a problem that will cost the ferret it's life if
not treated.

Hope all works out well.
A friend of ferrets,

Alicia