From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:05:27 -0700
Hi All  :-)

I had to write and brag about two of my kids.  Their names are Doris and
Billy.  Here is the short version of their story.

I had made appointments with Dr. Weiss to do an adrenal surgery on George
and remove a couple of painful mass cell tumors on Buddy.  I am from Idaho
and Dr. Weiss is in Maryland.  I am a truck driver and I was able to work
it out with my company in such a way that I was able to take three days off
in Maryland.

NOTE: I have put the full story with a bunch of pictures on my website.
You can find the link at the bottom of my main ferret page.  The address
is: http://home.earthlink.net/~sammysrefuge .

The following are a couple of excepts from my website:

"Dr. Weiss had a surgery scheduled before ours, so we all sat and played
in the waiting room.  Suddenly one of the Vet Techs came rushing into the
room.  She started to explain that the ferret that was being operated on
was losing too much blood and was dying.  She started to ask if they could
use one of my kids for a donor.  I stopped her in mid sentence and just
asked who Dr. Weiss wanted.  The Tech replied, "The biggest ferret that
is not having surgery."  I quickly handed her Billy, and off they went in
a rush to the operating room."

 <break>

"Everything was quiet again for a couple of minutes and then out came the
Tech again.  She said they needed another one.  Since Doris was the only
other one that was not scheduled for surgery, I quickly handed her to the
Tech.  I mentioned to the Tech that if they needed to, they could use Buddy
as a donor and we would just schedule to have Buddy's surgery for another
day.  She said that she would tell Dr. Weiss and off she went with Doris.

This time it was about 15 minutes later when the Tech brought out a groggy
Billy to me.  He was still trying to wake up after the anesthesia.  He was
followed a few minutes later by a still sleeping Doris.  It was then that
the news came.  The blood transfusions had been successful!  Billy and
Doris saved Sasha's life!  They were Hero's!

Dr. Weiss later told me what Sasha's surgery entailed. The following is a
quote from Dr. Weiss. ". . . that the tumor was a very large right adrenal
tumor which involved the liver, vena cava and had to be dissected free from
the aorta. We ligated the vena cava, and removed a lobe of affected liver."
Sasha went home with her mom and dad the day after the surgery."

There are pictures of Sasha on my website.  The pictures were taken only a
few hours after the surgery.  It was amazing to see how alert she was.

Here is one last excerpt from m website.

"Billy and Doris are up playing around.  They suffered absolutely no ill
effects from donating blood.  Well, that's not completely true.  You see,
they are suffering from enlarged ego syndrome. :-)  Since I explained to
them that they are heroes, they expect their raisins to be given to them
on a silver platter.  I, of course, gladly comply with their wishes.  I
am just so proud of them that I can barely stand myself."

Thanks for reading the blabberings of a VERY PROUD ferret daddy.

Jason, Doris, Buddy, George, and Billy
http://home.earthlink.net/~sammysrefuge