From:
scott sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:59:02 -0700
As a responsible pet owner (ferrets and cats) and as a retired
professional wildlife biologist, I must take issue with Dr Gaines and
his statement regarding HR669. His POV, while appreciated is still
clouded by his bias toward such groups as PETA and HSUS (NOT our
friends regarding this bill as BOTH orgs support its passage). AND
Dr. Gaines has direct ties to both, which to me speaks of a distinct
conflict of interest. The simple fact that he would support the bill
if the Domestic Ferret were to be exempted from the restricted list
is a patently wrong tack to take. Of course we all want the Domestic
Ferret exempted, but the big picture beyond that must be the "driver"
in looking at the impacts of this Draconian bill (as written). Simply
put, it MUST be defeated in no uncertain terms. PERIOD! For a list of
reasons, refer to the FML of yesterday. I do not need to reiterate
them here.

Everyone who owns a pet needs to get involved in this fight. Everyone,
needs to contact their representatives immediately as well as all the
committee members who will be holding the hearing on this bill (and I
suggest using the list provided by Dr Hoffman in the previous ed of
the FML.from Wikipedia) Previous lists are outdated and many emails
will kick back. Send hard copies to all the legislators concerned in
order to back up any emails sent.

This bill is poorly written at best and provides no "peer reviewed"
scientific documentation to support its passage. It's language is
ambiguous and vague, with "potential risk" flagging up as an example of
its poor wording. Add to that that fully 25% of the committee members
are from island nations/territories (far different ecologies than those
found in the continental U.S.) with the bills main sponsor from Guam
and a reasonable person should conclude that this is a special interest
bill that, if passed, will have profound effects on all U.S. citizens.
My suggestion is that the bill be rewritten to target invasive species
of both plants and animals that would affect the island ecologies
ONLY as they cannot and should not be compared to those found in a
continental setting. The existing Lacey Act already covers importations
into CONUS (Continental United States). If it needs fine tuning, that
must occur as a separate legislative action with adequate, peer
reviewed documentation.

Add to that the difficulties in setting up the protocols and
administration within the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service to deal with
the process of treating thousands of species for exemption and one also
sees that it would take years for the risk analysis process to truly
begin. And what process would they use? NEPA (National Environmental
Policy Act) and any subsequent EIR (Environmental Impact Report) that
would, in my opinion, be required before the agency could proceed
forward with the new program (because this issue creates vast public
controversy.which by law demands a NEPA level EIR be prepared) would
create yet another level of bureaucratic tangle. EIRS of this scope
have been known to take decades to complete and implement. And what
happens in the interim? Simple.my take is that, aside from the
immediate effects on the pet industry and economy, all animals (and
this should treat invasive plants as well), would remain illegal for
years.something that simply cannot be allowed from my POV.

This bill must be defeated immediately. I ask everyone on the FML to
contact other pet owners and groups to support this effort.

Putorius and the Magnificent 7 (they say vote no as well).