From:
Erinne Stark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:20:57 -0400
When I first got my two ferret kids, they lived with my ex-fiance.  At
the time, his bed was on a standard metal frame, and we thought that
this was working well with the ferrets, after all, they loved to move
mouthfuls of food under the bed to eat and stash for later.  Little did
we know that they were also using that area as a giant litter box (I'm
sure many of you are thinking "But wouldn't you have noticed the smell?"
and the answer is no, there was really no extra smell).  So, we took the
frame down and put the box spring and mattress on the floor.  However,
after a month or two, the kids figured out that they could scratch their
way through the fabric lining on the box spring, and they ripped huge
holes all over the box spring.  So we duct taped the holes, but they
scratched through those two.  They had already started in on the corner
of the mattress against the walls, so we didn't want to get rid of the
box spring so they could ruin the mattress instead, so eventually, I had
the idea to put a fitted sheet on the box spring.  And believe it or not,
it works great, and now they have no interest in the box spring at all
(when they moved in with me, I also had to get rid of my bed frame).  I
use a Twin XL fitted sheet that I had left over from living in a dorm
(but regular sized fitted works too, have used both kinds), and instead
of putting it on the box spring the same way I would the mattress, I do
it the opposite way.  for some reason, this way is harder for the ferrets
to pull the sheet away from the box spring, and it also allows you to use
sheet suspenders to keep the sheet in place.  It probably won't stop the
most persistant fuzzies, but it seems to work well for the rest!

Erinne
and the fuzzies Nigel and Fiona