Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 18:27:56 EDT
Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to say that I spoke with our lobbyist and bills have died
in Committee without ever coming up for a vote even though the author wants
the bill heard.  Jan, our author, had mentioned this as well so sadly this
is a possiblility for AB 363.  I had met ex-assemblymeber Dominic Cortese at
a recent fundraiser for Jan.  The Hon. Mr. Cortese suggested that we contact
the Rules Committee to see if such a thing could be prevented from happening
but I called Bob Naylor because this is exactly something he would know
about.  He sadly confirmed that it can happen and has happened before.

The Appropriations Committee has indicated that AB 363 should come up (for a
hearing at least) in August, but no date is set so that could easily change.
I hope to have more news next week because our lobbyist will be speaking
with the committee consultant.  As soon as I hear something I'll let you
know.  In the meantime, it is not a "given" that the bill will have an
opportunity to be voted on.  As you recall, last year it wasn't voted on,
the only vote taken was whether or not to send it to the suspense file and I
guess they could vote to leave it there.  In any case, Bob and Jan have said
that AB 363 can die without being heard.  If you've heard otherwise, it's
not true-- let's hope though that fairness prevails and that doesn't happen.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!

Jeanne