From:
Inez Gowsell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 21:06:08 -0400
Hi everybody!

I don't even know where Cocoa's roots were, but there are several
people in Saskatchewan that raise ferrets.  I have talked to a couple
of people that have them, and most seemed to not be from any pet
store.  I appreciate all the comments on this group regarding "convenience
kits" and breeders, etc.   I keep all the mailing lists so that I can
refer back to them when I do get another shark.

I almost ordered "Ferrets" today, but figured I would hold off for a
little while longer.  I noticed there are a few other books in print right
now.  I will check local bookstores and libraries before I buy, because I
seem to remember some are better than others.

[Chuck and Fox Morton's book is pretty well unanimously considered the
best one.]

To lighten the tone a little bit around here, I have compiled some memories
and offer them for your entertainment and enjoyment.  I am currently between
owners  :-), but can still remember some of the things Cocoa did.

Enjoy.

Several people mentioned having cats or dogs and ferrets together and
whether they get along.  Well, when I first got Cocoa, she was around
5 months old and my roommates had a puppy and a kitten.  The three animals
would race around, playing and fighting with each other alot.  There never
seemed to be any problems... they all treated each other as equals.

When Cocoa was about 3 or so, I had her at my parent's place.  They had
just gotten a Great Dane puppy.  It was hilarious watching Thor trying to
get Cocoa to play.  She would look at him and then walk a way a little
bit, while he kept pouncing at her to try and get her attention.  Eventually,
she would just go under the couch or a stool or something and he couldn't
get near her.  I have a picture of her under a stool and Thor just looking
at her, so forlorn 'cause she wouldn't play!  :)

The bond between Cocoa and I was great.  I didn't think about it much until
a lady asked me if Cocoa met me at the door when I came home.  I realized that
she did greet me (when she wasn't caged), or at least woke up when I came in.

The sweetest "greeting" I got from her was at a New Year's party at my
parent's place.  I had been out all day and didn't get home until the party
was going strong.  I gave her a quick hug when I came in and proceeded to
party.  Later on in the evening, after I had quite a bit to drink, I picked
her up to show to some people.  Normally, the smell of alcohol caused her
to wrinkle her nose in disgust and turn away.  However, because I hadn't
spent any time with her that day, she just couldn't stop kissing me!
It was so sweet.

Another example of our bond was when her litter was born.  I sometimes
let her sleep at the foot of the bed and it so happened that she couldn't
climb up to the bed herself (thankfully for me!  :).  That night she
just kept fidgeting and fidgeting, so finally I put her on the floor.

About an hour later, I heard a funny noise.  I turned on the light and saw
she had had a baby.  I sat beside her for a bit, petting her and just
keeping her company.  Eventually I went to bed.  About two or three hours
later, Cocoa started scratching on the bed post.  She wanted me to come
and see what she had done, for as soon as I got up she was over at her
cage, proudly showing me her new family  :).

Right from the first day I was allowed to pick up her litter, but no one
else was.  I had them at my parents place at about 5 or 6 weeks, (eyes
weren't open yet) and handed one of the babies to my mother.  Right away,
Cocoa grabbed the baby and took it back to the cage.  It was okay for
me to hold them, but not "grandma"  (As soon as I told mom about Cocoa's
litter she emphatically stated that she would not be grandma to a bunch
of ferrets  ;).... so I called her grandma anyway.  :-)

So, this is the first installment of my cute stories.  I think I have
taken up enough space in this issue.  Thanks for listening.

Inez