From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:16:25 -0700
I'm not certain (as Wolfy suggested) that there is any proof that
ferrets in the UK are any healthier or live longer than ferrets in the
US. Re: diseases, I've noticed on the Ferret Health List that there
are posts by a Brit (Tony) who has ferrets, and he had mentioned his
first ferret became insulinomic and now another has lymphoma. He has
(as others have in the UK) used deslorelin there as we do here as a
preventive for adrenal disease in neutered animals. In addition some
of the drugs used to prevent or treat ferret illnesses (lupron I
think?) have been used in Europe (the Netherlands) before they were
used in the US.

I don't know what most owners in the UK feed their ferrets, (I
emigrated in the late 60's and know no-one over there who keeps
ferrets) but suspect that some use regular processed foods along with
some meat. But there are dry foods for ferrets sold in the UK as they
are here. However, you cannot prevent adrenal disease, pancreatic
tumors or lymphoma with diet (as far as I know). See this site which
has a list of ferret illnesses known to the UK owners :
http://www.britishferretclub.org.uk/

And I suspect that those ferrets that live long lives over there are
just lucky genetically to have good health - as do some ferrets here
in the US. The other advantage for the UK ferrets is that some are kept
in normal daylight (in the UK they are sometimes kept out in a shed
in the garden). I think its the luck of the draw. US ferrets are all
derived/imported I think from UK ferrets. Anyone know if that's where
the US ferret stock came from?

Re lifespan - one UK veterinary site
http://www.darwinvets.com/other/ferrets-pets
mentions that complete ferret foods are now available and are a
good choice. That vet site says life span is 8-10. Another UK site
http://www.ferrettrust.org/ferret-care-a-info.html
mentions a life span of 6-8 years. Also mentions that if jills
(females) are neutered they should be treated with GnRH - a product
akin to Lupron.

So, I have a feeling that ferrets in most parts of the world have a
predisposition to their illnesses because of the their natural biology.
European Polecats - the wild ancestor - kept in zoos (I'm guessing
probably fed meat) live to about 8 years of age. This site says
probably five years in the wild
http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/polecat
but of course living off the land has its own risks!

If there are any UK FML members (? does the list extend to the UK?)
maybe they can weigh in on this topic. It would be nice to know if any
other countries have different lifespans or rates of disease. But it's
difficult to get hard data. They certainly have been a boon to humans -
no other animal species (as far as I know) develops gastric ulcers and
gets influenza. My dad never knew that his relief from his ulcer in the
1970's was all due to the discovery (by an Australia researcher) that
ferrets develop ulcers which can be treated. The ulcer is caused by
helicobacter mustelae which can be eradicated with antibiotics, then
the ulcer goes away. A similar bacteria H. pylori causes ulcers in in
humans. My dad never knew he owed ferrets for his eventual relief from
stomach pain!

Meryl

[P.S.] And if I hadn't married my late husband (we met in London at
college) and come over with him (since he first had a post doc at
Harvard, then we moved to CA) I would never have gotten a job as a lab
tech in a San Diego research lab, and hence helped smuggle four ferrets
out (surplus - going to be euthanized - researcher left) and gotten
hooked on ferrets!!