From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1992 05:03:45 -0500
More on the USA cancer problem:

I've heard people say that the cancer rate in ferrets here is
just "too high to be genetic", which makes us all very concerned
about the chemicals in the food we're feeding our little ones.
This is an issue that people are just now starting to notice,
so we should be hearing study results within a few years.  (Which
isn't very good news to all of us who's furries probably won't
be around that long, and if they are, the damage will already be
done.)  Personally, when my current batch of food runs out, I
think I'm going to try and find some all natural food and see how
my girls do on it.  Anyway, my question, Urban, is what is the
general diet of Swedish ferrets?  Is it significantly different
than ours?

Another question (annoying, aren't I...), are there ferret farms
over there that are anything on the scale of our Marshall Farms
or Path Valley Farms?  If not, that could be a major factor in
all this, since they did inbreed for so long, screwing up the
gene pool over here.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree