From:
ange mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:20:13 EDT
Hello!  I am new to this list, but I can see there is a lot of negative
feelings on pet stores.  I would first like to say, I am a manager of a pet
store, and also owned by my fuzzy buddy - Baby.  I have done more than a
little reaserch on ferrets, I find them to be fasinating creatures.  I do
sell ferrets, actually Baby does the selling.  He comes to work with me
everyday.  He has changed a lot of peoples veiws on ferrets.  He runs to
greet the children, and loves to play with the puppies and kittens (who by
the way are also running free).  When people come in to purchase a ferret
from my store, they must speak directly with myself, if I am not at work,
I come in.  My customers don't leave until they are informed, about diet,
cages, litter pans, litter and all the basics.  Most importantly, I don't
let a ferret go until I am sure that the potential parents, are able to
provide the love, time and above all else patience for their fuzzy pet.
I go over biting and tips on training, and behaviour and I am currently
working on compiling a little booklet of information - the number of the
vet who specializes in ferrets in my area will be included, as well as a
backup number.  The ferrets I have sold 98% come in for visits.  (I also
take babies home to begin working on the trust issues with people, and the
biting issue.  I don't let a ferret leave until I know it's tame, and that
way it is easier to adapt in it's new home.) I am always receiving calls
from my customers as well as customers from less reputable stores, about
their pets.

I am becoming known as the ferret girl, lol.  People think I'm nuts over
ferrets but if you knew Baby, you'd know why.  I currently have one that a
lady purchased from a store, that they shouldn't have sold to her, she was
poorly informed!!!  I am not sure he will be going back to her home, he
doesn't like children, I am not trying to make myself sound like a saint,
I just want to say that some pet stores ARE very different.  If you try
giving pet stores and workers education on what they don't know, maybe
they too would be different.  Maybe!

A very informed and caring pet store manager @ Baby