From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:52:26 -0400
The Ferret Association of Connecticut will be supporting the Ohio
ferret rescue - we are, at this point, quite confident that the
situation warrants our whole-hearted support. To help validate that,
two of us will be on site this coming weekend, 9/30, following our
(serendipitous?) attendance at an American Humane Assn conference in
Alexandria Friday and Saturday.

One of our concerns as a shelter is the number of ferrets shelters will
be absorbing. Even if you do not agree with the whys and wherefores or
have all the facts you would like at hand, even if you dislike the
personalities involved for whatever reason, there are still 750 animals
that require neutering, vaccinations and, most importantly, permanent
and loving homes.

To help that happen, I am begging all US ferret breeders to do whatever
they can to cut back their operation for the next season or two until
these animals are mainstreamed into the ferret community.

We all know that we cannot stop the "really big" breeders. And I
recognize that in some cases, you may already have animals bred. I
would never ask that anyone abort babies!

But I am asking anyone who breeds - and most especially those who have
DM ferrets in their line - to do your best to help out the shelters who
are helping these poor animals. And to support us in helping them find
homes this coming year by not adding to the number of ferrets seeking
homes and encouraging adoptions for the sake of these animals.

Shelters still have all the ferrets put out there by the large ferret
farms to deal with. All are sacrificing personal time and personal
finances to this cause. I know some breeders will gernously give time
and money as well. But I am asking you to to go one step further by
limiting or eliminating your litters.

If you need one, I am sure we can get your facility a vasectomized hob.
Not to make light of the issue, but I bet some of these "hobs" would
volunteer for the job!

If you plan to do so, please step forward and make your pledge public
and earn the support and respect of the vast majority of ferret owners.
FACT will certainly be happy to include your names and ferretry as
key supporters in our newsletter and on our website. I am sure other
shelters and groups will do so as well.

Ann Gruden
President
Ferret Association of CT, Inc.