From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:14:17 -0400
If Ashling doesn't clear out a blockage she may become our first to need
surgery for one.  She's always been a garbage belly, and a climbing one at
that, but for her 3 and 1/2 years so far we've managed to keep her safe,
and certainly we've never had a blockage ever get past the Petromalt stage
before in all these years (about 18), but she's had an emergency exam this
evening with x-rays, sub-q, and such tonight as our first one to reach that
stage.  At the exam, when her temperature was taken, she passed a section
of kelly-green, still-knit yarn, so we have to figure what that came from,
but she still isn't eating or drinking.  Not forcing anything.  Offering,
and watching, and examining the litter pots in an isolation room for now;
by the time you read this we might know if she's got to have emergency
surgery tomorrow or if it will have passed.  Problem began in the early
afternoon or late morning because we know that she had some food at 1 p.m.
that she could vomit when the gagging began but laxatives didn't work.  For
those who don't know, a blockage can become life-threatening very rapidly
so it's one of things which require rapid jumping.  Have to go now and
trace down kelly-green (not all that easy with a half-Irish hubby...).