From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:35:02 EDT
This is response to Edward's comments on volunteers being more trouble than
they are worth.......

Well, I cannot speak for volunteering in ferret shelters, but I have had
extensive experience working with volunteers in a "soup kitchen" setting.

I personally feel that you could have voiced your feelings toward
volunteers much, much more delicately.  SOMETIMES (and the word "sometimes"
is strongly, strongly stressed) what you have said can be true.  But, like
any stereotype, you can find people to fit it.  Stereotypes, like labels,
are demeaning and damaging.

Now, SOME volunteers CAN be a new dimension of horror (at least in my
experience) due to the fact that there can SOMETIMES be a minority that
do things similar to what you have said, OR think that they don't have to
listen to direction AT ALL.  How does one discipline a volunteer?

BUT, there are many, many, many volunteers who do a commendable, excellent
job.  Where I worked, we couldn't have operated and served people without
them.  And I'm talking using around 20-25 volunteers a day just to operate
on minimum capacity.  With a staff of just 8 paid people, without them,
even if we all worked like dogs IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN DONE.  I will forever
applaud volunteers for that reason.

A hint that I have that may help some....... Many non-profits, as shelters
are, have one designated person, or a "committee" who handles volunteer
scheduling.  Sometimes that is a paid person.  Most times, however, it is a
VOLUNTEER.  Many people who are physically unable or unwilling to do the
manual labor involved like to feel like they are helping, and this gives
them the opportunity.  They are responsible for coordination, scheduling,
etc., which frees the shelter operator to handle the things that they, and
they alone, can.

Now, one other suggestion.  Have you TRAINED the volunteers before they are
"put to work?" It truly takes more detailed instructions than "go clean the
cages......" What you mean and what they see can be two entirely different
things.  In my experience, a meeting with voluntters where you explain your
mission (formulate a mission statement too to give you an identity.....),
give them a tour of the facilities, discuss when and what needs to be done
is very helpful.  Also, perhaps even at the same time after the inital
meeting, give them a training session to help them understand what is
wanted and expected.  It can be helpful to have a manual written out with
step by step instructions.  I know, I know, everyone is saying "who needs
instructions to empty poop pans and feed ferrets....." Well, a volunteer
does, friends.  Believe it or not, we all have different ways of doing
things, and if you don't explain it fully, both you and the volunteer will
have an unpleasant, unrewarding experience.

Also, how do you show your volunteers you appreciate them?  We hald a
dinner twice a year for ours.  It can be as simple as a pot luck affair in
a park with speeches by the shelter director and volunteer coordinator,
with corny little inexpensive awards, like one made on the computer for
"Best Poop Dumper" or "Best Ferret Cuddler." The cost doesn't matter.  The
sentiment does.  We all want to feel appreciated.

I don't volunteer at my local shelter because of my time constraints and
the fact that Rick and the U.F.O.  are across the valley from me.  (With
the I-15 destruction folks, that's an issue.........) I won't make a
scheduled appointment that I can't keep.  But then, I've been in the
situation where volunteers don't show.  Have you explained to them what is
does to you when they don't?  Or do they think you won't give a damn one
way or the other?

I will offer here, however, to help anyone at any shelter set up a
volunteer program and training manual.  I'd be happy to discuss and
assist in any way I can.

Remember too, Edward, that even those who just "cuddle" the ferrets are
providing a needed socialization service, aren't they?  Those that "BS"
might make excellent coordinators or committee members.  ALL volunteers
are usefull in their own way.  It is up to the agencies that need them to
find their usefullness and channel it in a positive direction.

Please be kind people.  We're trying to help ferrets, aren't we?  The
kinder, more coordinated we are, the more ferrets we help.

 Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
 "Behind the Zion Curtain"